Wednesday, August 11, 2010

mp3: The End of The World Is Bigger Than Love


"Some things you just go through. You don't write about it, you don't turn it into art because it can't be turned into art. I didn't write any songs that year because you can't pour manure into an espresso machine and expect a cappucino to come out. When they announced the results and the streets filled up with people celebrating I felt happy to be part of something bigger than myself. It was a feeling that lasted me until the very last days of December 2008 when I finally sat down in my old teenage room at my parents house and I wrote this song. Then the year ended."


Thanks for that Jens Lekman.

If you know me you'll know there's nothing I love more than a big fat, melodramatic song concept. What's So Sweet About Sweet Sixteen? The Best Part Of Breaking Up (! ! ! ! !). I am a SUCKER for it. I love a big cheesy overaching idea that pretty much tells you exactly what the song is, and the fact you know the knockout punch is coming doesn't make it any easier to dodge.

Ah, Jens. The End of The World is Bigger Than Love? What a thing to call your new single. With El Perro Del Mar calling an album Love Is Not Pop, that's two Swedes seemingly trying to downplay the significance of love (or... pop?), all the while knowing that they are kidding themselves on every level possible. Anyway, new Jens song is swooning and beautiful and charming and has wonderfully arranged sings and everything a Jens Lekman song should be. DOwnload it like so...











ps. are these two made for each other?


While you're at it, it's really worth downloading Jens' Summer in 3/4 Time mp3 mix. It starts off with an Au Reviour Simone track Jens himself has managed to CUT UP (presumably from 4/4 time) into a 3/4 waltz. This is a lot of work and it kinda surprised me that it still works as well as it does (though you certainly hear the edits in a few places. But from there it goes through an assortment of loosely connected tracks that will totally you up. Put it on the stereo and drive on a roadtrip to find a blanket and a fire with a loved one.

No comments:

Post a Comment